Daniel Guerrero Thoughts

Thursday, February 02, 2006

What the world needs

Today I checked an article about making your PSP run emulators and programs, of course this was first introduced by XBox which attract to many hobbiest (and a lot of linux geeks).

The problem with PSP, and let me be general, with Sony is that the company as many other big companies try to impose their own "standard", in this case the UMD and Memory Stick, if they ask to me how to design this, I would prefer to use a mini DVD, of course is not Universal Compatible, but it will be more compatible than UMD.

The compatibility should be though as first feature when the system is created (but of course if they limit to users to their products universe, they got more money...).

So what is my whish?.

HD bluetooth or wifi enabled. Yes, why have a system with a lot of Disk Space (iPod, mp3 player, and now camcorders) and they are only limited to one system. If I have a palm, a mp3/video player and why not a PSP or a GBA I want to connect to my HD.
The flash cards are growing in capacity more faster than other medium, but if we compare a small iPod of 4 GB with the now more standard flash card of 1GB the difference is obvious, and more if you buy an iPod of 40 GB or another portable system of this capacity. So why not have a HD with this features?.
I would like to connect my palm to this HD and have programs or even go to internet and download things when I'm mobile; get games from the HD and save my advances, later I only could put near a computer to sync my files.
And we can go further and put in the HD more intelligence and have a permissions system like linux; so we could left to another user read our disk and give a new dimension to sharing.

I hope the companies see that if they make more standard (and open) systems, we get more fun. How the companies could win in this way?, easy as they have developed a system, they have advantage developing more addons more faster and eager than others (and this doesn't mean they have to create their pseudo-standard/open systems).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home